Kilmartin Castle, a small ‘Z-plan’ tower house, dating from about 1580, stands above the village of Kilmartin. It was a property of the Campbells, many of whom are buried in the nearby churchyard. John Carswell, Rector of Kilmartin and later titular Bishop of the Isles, lived here before moving to his new residence at Carnasserie Castle. The castle comprises an oblong, three-story main block, with round towers to the north-east and south-west corners, as well as a small stair tower in the west front. Formerly ruined, it has been restored as a private house in recent years and is currently for sale.